The success of the Islamic State of Iraq And Syria(ISIS) has awakened a warlike attitude among those on Fox News as well as a few diehards in Congress. They endeavor to blame President Obama for whatever problems are present in the Middle East. In turn, the president wonders whether he should initiate action in Iraq, provide aid to anti-Assad Syrians, or simply pack up our bags and head home. Let u sort out this mess:
1. The invasion of Iraq in 2003 by President George Bush and an enthusiastic Congress is THE cause of most current problems in Iraq and Syria. George Bush broke the plates in the shop and is responsible for all damage.
2. There is scant evidence providing military aid to “secular and moderate” groups in Syria would have altered what subsequently occurred regarding the rise of Islamist terror groups. They were being funded by our beloved ally, Saudi Arabia and Gulf states.
3. George Bush left Obama with an incompetent Iraq government which transformed Sunni Iraqi groups into fervent enemies willing to embrace any terror group that sought the end of Iraq’s government.
4. President Obama inherited a “lose-lose scenario leading to defeat, regardless to which direction he turned.
5. The present Obama program of air strikes makes sense. OK, to send in a few hundred American “advisers” but leave it at that level. Success or failure depends upon actions or lack of action on the part of Iraq’s new government. The new prime minister will decide if ISIS emerges victorious or Iraq’s Sunni groups rally around the flag.
Sorry, Barack, you cannot change the outcome of this game.