On virtually every issue that arrives on the scene, at some time or other a Republican will insist -this is what our Founding Fathers wanted. Let’s examine the issues of the day:
1. Republicans insist there is no such thing as “science.” Benjamin Franklin was considered among the top scientists in the western world. Thomas Jefferson was a scientist who boasted of his scientific knowledge.Anyone running a plantation in the South required utilization of scientific methods.
2. Ah, the infamous 2nd Amendment. Actually, the 2nd Amendment specifically says “a well armed militia.” At no point is there any mention of every citizen having the right to possess a weapon.
3. Bill O Reilly insists that every American grabbed a gun and fought the British in the Revolution. The US had a population of about 2,500,000 people. If you add up all those who served in the Revolution it means that no more than 100,000 actually served at any one point. OH, one-third were classified as “Loyalists” who supported the King. After the Revolution, about 100,000 Loyalists left to live in Canada.
4. Republicans insist our Founding Fathers wanted limited government in which States had the power. Actually, the original government of the Articles of Confederation gave States power. That is why our Founding Fathers called a Constitutional Convention to create a powerful National Government!
5. Oh, the First Amendment separated government from religion. Our Founding Fathers would have gagged at Republican efforts to allow religions not to obey the laws of the land!
Posted in Barack Obama, bernie Sanders, Conservatives, Democrats, Donald Trump, Education, Gender Issues, Hilary Clinton, Human Rights, john kerry, Liberals, Military, Mitt Romney, Multicultural, Peace, Politics, Republicans, Ted Cruz, United States, US Foreign Policy, War