Well, the moment finally came–the Supreme Court ruled in favor of equal rights for gays and lesbians in America. One way to exam this issue is that by the 5-4 decision in favor of gay rights the institution of marriage was aided. I have never been able to understand why conservatives, who believe in family values have opposed laws that assist people to marry and begin to have a family.Anyway, five judges voted to support the institution of marriage.
Chief Justice John Roberts and, naturally,Justice Scalia are upset. According to Roberts and his three other colleagues, the Constitution has been violated.Yes, there is no doubt our Founding Fathers would have supported gay marriage. Then again,not a single one would have supported:
1. Government action to spy on citizens.
2. The nutty idea that a corporation is a person.
3. The nutty idea that one could draw upon religion to refuse services to others.
4. The idea that presidents could unilaterally send the nation to war.
5. The idea that state governments could fly the British flag to recall the good old days.
Life changes, and those who wrote the Constitution DID understand that new times required new laws.