I am 84 years old and have lived through other such nights as last night when Republicans gained a great political victory. The bad news is that Republicans won, the good news is that Republicans won. This Republican party is clueless regarding what is necessary in modern America in order to address needs in modern America. They lack any program that addresses economic and social needs of Americans. So, what must be the political strategy of the Democratic Party? The Democratic Party must provide Americans with a program that seeks to create a 21st century society.
1. Student Loans are hindering the ability of young people to purchase homes and enjoy a successful economic life. Short term program: reduce interest rates on student loans to 2%. Long term solution: offer students the option of paying 2% of their wages for student loans. This dramatically reduces payments for all students. For example, a student with a $30,000 loan who earns $30,000 will only pay $50 a month for their loan repayment.
2. JOBS. Propose a huge rebuilding program for our infrastructure. Get people working.
3. Propose a new health program that offers initially: all those from birth to age 22 are now covered by Medicare. The following years all other Americans will be covered by Medicare. Simple solution to the health care issue in America.
4. Promise Americans that a Democratic President will hold weekly press conferences as well as monthly Talks With The American People.
5. Promise to ask members of Congress of both parties to meet and devise a program that will address the issue of Drugs in America. We need a new direction.
6. Promise that a new Democratic President will appoint a Republican as Attorney General. Make clear to the American people that a President should have an Attorney General who is not beholden to the President.
7. Ask Congress to create a commission that will address the issue of too many people in jail. We need a new direction.
These are an initial factors in a new political direction.