The demise of the Soviet Union led most people to conclude the ideas of Karl Marx were wrong for the world. A brutal dictatorship which murdered millions of innocent people and stifled any ability of people to inhabit a world of ideas resulted in few accepting the precepts of Karl Marx. First of all, Marx never urged establishment of a leadership that killed members of the working class nor did he urge gulags and death camps for poor people. The society created by Joseph Stalin was NEVER the dream of Karl Marx. Unfortunately, the ideas of Marx were never followed by those who claimed to be his intellectual children. Let’s examine the record of what Karl Marx actually DID say:
1. He forecast that wealthy capitalists would dominate the economic life of society. FACT: The latest count is that 1% of the wealthiest humans have more wealth than the other 99%.
2. He predicted the gradual economic decline of the middle class. This is exactly what is happening in capitalist societies whether they be the United States of America or Greece.
3. He predicted that workers would feel alienated from their daily work. They would cease having pride in what they do. Just ask those working in fast food places or those in a part time job.
4. He predicted that religion would be an opiate that blinds people from reality. Check your daily newspaper or web site for confirmation of what he said.
5. He predicted that wealthy people would control government. Anyone who disagrees?
Karl Marx urged a society in which there was distribution of wealth based upon the principle of “from each according to his ability.” Sounds good to me!