I was raised on the streets of the South Bronx in New York City so I learned at an early age how to behave when encountering the police.
1. Always walk on your heels since this is less threatening then walking on your soles.
2. Avoid any eye contact with police, just gaze at the ground.
3. If you have black skin walk with your hands behind your back in a position to be handcuffed.
4. Have a patch on your jacket indicating that you gave money to the police benevolent society.
5. Any initial words should be: “massa, massa, did I do anything wrong?”
6. of course walking backwards with hands held high is a good way to indicate you are a peaceful person.
7. When asked your name, say it is: “Mike Flynn” or “Bill O’Reilly.” If either of those names are not your name,head to a court and change your name to an Irish one.
8. It does help if you are walking a dog, a tiny one, that is.
9. It also helps if you are with a beautiful blond girl who smiles at the cops. Of course, if you are a black man this just angers cops.
10. It does help if you are bare chested to make clear there are no secret weapons in your possession.
Oh,Brownie points if you speak with a British accent.
Then again, being dressed like a member of the clergy also helps avoiding being shot.