Believe it or not but we have now witnessed two entire days without massive fighting in Syria. I realize this sudden interlude is bothering Republican military heroes such as Donald Trump or Ted Cruz who want to carpet bomb someone to prove they understand how to win wars against terrorists. However, for the most part, rebels against Assad are enjoying the first quiet time in years. OK, so the cease fire agreement is not 100% satisfactory since Russia retains the right to bomb “terrorists.”
The real question is whether this strange interlude could result in something that is long term in Syria. So, what are the options for American leaders?
1. They must accept the reality that for the immediate future, there will be a President Assad in Syria.
2. They must accept the reality there will be areas set aside for various rebel groups.
3. The US must realize that Russian is now a power in the Middle East.
Any good news in sight?
1. It is now time for the US to work with Iran in order to get the Russians out of the Middle East. Sorry, Republicans, but Iran is the only hope right now to create some sort of quiet time.
2. It is time for Israel to shut up about the “Iranian menace.”
3. The people of Syria need PEACE AND QUIET so they will cease heading for Europe.
Such is reality. A concept that is foreign to the minds of those seeking to become president of the United States.