There are moments when one does not know whether to cry or laugh at antics of Republicans who can only see horror and disaster whenever President Obama opens his mouth or makes a decision. Let me get this straight:
1. The United States of America in 1961, when I was 31 years old, imposed sanctions on the new government of Fidel Castro.
2. Every American president since that moment has supported this decision.
3. Fidel Castro was a dictator in 1961.
4. Today, Fidel is retired and his brother is now the dictator.
5. DESPITE sanctions, human rights does not exist in Cuba.
In other words, imposing sanctions has not altered anything about the power structure of Cuba. According to Carlos Eire, a college professor whose family fled Cuba, “I am furious, in pain, and deeply offended by this betrayal of the Cuban people.” In other words, altering a policy which has NOT provided human rights for Cubans somehow is a “betrayal.” Those opposing change simply wish to dig the hole a lot deeper. Oh, the US has diplomatic relations with China, a leader in denial of human rights. We also diplomatically engage with Zimbabwe whose leader, Robert Mugabe, makes the Castro boys come across as defenders of human rights!