We now are in the era of demolishing any and all prior leaders of American society on grounds they were white supremacists. Every prior American president was white, of the original five American presidents, four were slave owners. A group of protestors attending a Columbus Day rally in New York City demanded that a statue of Theodore Roosevelt who served from 1900 to 1908 be torn down on grounds that he was “a stark embodiment of white supremacy that Roosevelt himself espoused and promoted.”
As the author of a history of America, this is sheer nonsense. Examine the Theodore Roosevelt record:
1. Upon becoming president, he ended segregation in all federal jobs.
2. When the San Francisco Board of Education attempted to establish separate schools for Japanese American children, he personally tongue lashed the head of the Board of Education and made certain there was no segregation of children from Asian families.
3. He was the first president since Abraham Lincoln to invite Negro leaders for discussions in the White House.
4. He appointed Negroes to important Federal jobs in the South.
5. He has the respect and support of important Negro leaders such as Booker T. Washington.
6. Negroes had key positions in the Republican party.
7. Theodore Roosevelt aided workers, and supported their right to strike, he was the first president to enforce anti-trust laws, and he openly fought for the right of women to vote.
Is this the mark of a white supremacist?