I so enjoy the rants of Republican candidates how they will destroy ISIS by bombing or putting all Muslims in jail. Few examine the reasons for the ongoing success of ISIS. Reality is that young men and women are voluntarily seeking to become part of this group. Why?
1. ISIS offers hope of being part of some meaningful experience in a world in which few can obtain this desire.
2. ISIS offers fascinating videos on the Internet of young men doing daring things, young men shouting with glee.
3. The videos capture a spirit of belonging at a time when fewer and fewer feel they belong to any meaningful experience or group.
4. ISIs offers membership in a group of brave young men. Who cares what they are doing, they certainly come across as willing to sacrifice their lives.
5. The post industrial world emphasizes the Self, it does not enable people to feel part of the group. But, being part of the group has been the most important feeling for thousands and thousands of years.
6. Best of all ISIS provides a meaningful way to die.