It is October and the fight over whether to have a holiday for Columbus has already begun. Some regard the Italian who sailed for the Spanish as among the worst conquerers in history. I have spent years studying this man and read just about everything he wrote. So, let me offer some reasons why his voyages are important in world history.
1. He did NOT prove the world was round, every scholar knew it was. He did prove there was land across the Atlantic Ocean.
2. His voyage sparked an outbreak of scholarly thinking among Europeans about the world.
3. His voyage provided Europe with incredible wealth which helped spark an economic boom.
4. His voyage led to sharing of foods which soon impacted the lives of people in Europe, and eventually, the world.
6. He transformed Spain into a powerful nation.
7. His voyage sparked other nations to venture into the Western Hemisphere.
8. His voyage led tho the destruction of the Aztec empire, and the Inca empire. I am not arguing whether these events were good or bad, simply, that they happened.
9. His voyage made Christianity a world religion.
IN other words, this man was important in world history, for the good and the bad.