As we observe black people demanding their right to be treated as human beings rather than as members of a sub class, their is a tendency to blame such actions upon “white racism.” Let me argue that police behavior is common among police because they are in the role of a policeman. Black, white, pink, yellow, tan, whatever, when cops encounter a crowd, their natural tendency as policemen is to become frightened, and blast away. In the summer of 2012 in South Africa, black policemen found themselves confronting striking miners. Police demanded that strikers depart the scene and go home or head straight into the mines. Miners wanted increases in pay and better working conditions so they refused to budge. Within a few moments, police began to blast away and soon 34 miners lay dead on the ground. Police were black and dead bodies were black.
One miner recalled attempting to hold up his arms and surrender only to discover that police were still blasting away. “We became afraid of surrendering because we would be shot.” Such were events in Marikana, South Africa in August, 2012. Unfortunately, a similar event happened in August, only it was August, 2014. In 2012, police were black and in August, 2014 they were white. This suggests the problem is not merely skin color, but training and practices of police–throughout the world!
Governments of the world focus on this or that conflict assuming that religion of bad people or good people are responsible for clashes in the Middle East or Africa or Asia or within the United States of America. It becomes increasingly clear that world and national conflicts entail a clash between the forces of modernity and historic values and beliefs. What we term, “modernity” emerged during the last decades of the nineteenth century and became powerful during the 20th century. What are the characteristics of this “modernity?”
1. Acceleration in the pace of change. Historically, change was a gradual process that might take hundreds of years, today, it can occur within an hour.
2. Creation of the concept of “Youth.” Historically, one was a boy and then became a man or a girl and became a woman. There was no interlude in which young people formed a distinctive class. Once Youth emerged, elders discovered they no longer were sources of wisdom. This shift has taken older people by surprise and led to anger and resentment of being displaced.
3. Products of life constantly change. Elders now must have their minds become accustomed to products of life which are here today and gone tomorrow. This engenders a sense of powerlessness and a feeling that life is spinning out of control.
4. Wisdom of elders does not become the wisdom of youth. When youth discounts the ideas of their elders it results in anger at loss of power. Youth assumes they know more than elders. We are witnessing this clash since there are also Youth which seeks the wisdom of their elders.
5. Rise of lower classes to power. Historically, humans were organized into tribes or societies in which a small group function as “leaders.” The concept of “democracy”has torn to pieces this historic arrangement. Some prefer a world of certainty in which a small group led society while a large number of people today believe all should participate in conducting society’s behavior.
We conclude today with this introduction to Modernity.
Israel and Hamas just agreed to another cease fire. In theory this one is allegedly to last four days, or was it five? We suggest the following form of ceasefire:
1. Each side exchanges weapons with the other side.
2. An Israel general assumes command of Hamas while a Hamas dude takes over the IDF.
3. John Kerry organizes soccer games for soldiers on both sides.
4. John Boehner agrees that Republicans will go along with the idea of a ceasefire.
5. John McCain is sent in to Gaza in order to engage in a duel with any Hamas leader who dares to accept his challenge.
6. After six days of non-violence have passed, both sides devote six days in order to fire weapons into the sea.
Then, when peace has reigned for a month, the IDF and Hamas agree to rebuild Gaza!
My ideas are not any crazier than those currently being discussed.
News from Ukraine clearly indicates that forces of the Kiev government are gradually wending their way through eastern regions of the country. Separatists are slowly realizing that most eastern Ukrainians do NOT want to secede and become part of Mother Russia. The so called Donetsk People’s Republic is turning out to be a collection of young men bent on proving their manhood by scaring policemen and intimidating public officials. But, when it comes to confronting men armed with weapons, the chants of “Mother Russia” are replaced with “Mother, please don’t let them kill me!”
The Russian government has arranged with the Red Cross to send in a “humanitarian” convoy whose task is to offer bread and meat to hungry folk instead of words of threat and missiles fired in the air. Putin spokesperson, Dimitry Peskov made clear “it is being sent under the aegis of the Red Cross with the consent of the Kiev government.” My question: Was everything cleared with Vladimir?? I thought he would ride on top of a tank and lead a convoy of destruction. Wonder what happened?