Anger concerning the Israel assault on a flotilla of ships carrying humanitarian aid is pouring in from all parts of the world. In South Africa, Nobel Laureate Desmond Tutu said the attack was “inexcusable,” while UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon expressed his shock and in Sweden Foreign Minister Carl Bildt demanded answers from Israel’s ambassador to his nation. Each hour there are new reports as to the dead and wounded with latest estimates being at least 19 and dozens more wounded. The Israel government’s only response has been to blame the ships for demonstrating a “political provocation”–whatever that means. It is clear that Israel might soon experience a violent outburst from Palestinians and it could result in ending present hopes for peace with the Palestinian Authority. There is scant doubt religious fundamentalist fanatics in Israel welcome this outcome just as do their fellow fanatics in Iran.
The question confronting Israel is what must be done. We write as a co-founder of a Holocaust Museum and one who loves the Israeli people. But, this is what is needed –NOW!
1. Release of all people who are in custody and return them to their home nations.
2. Ask the United Nations to dispatch troops to man all entry points in Gaza and work with Israel forces to ensure that civilian aid enters without any further restrictions.
3. A formal apology must be expressed to Turkey and other nations from which people in the ships came as well as assurances the Israel government will cooperate in allowing a new flotilla to land humanitarian supplies.
4. Organize an internal investigation of those responsible for this violation of international law.
5. The Netanyahu government must resign and form a new coalition with Kadima and get rid of religious fanatics in the Cabinet.
6. Remove Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman immediately. This man is a thug and clown, not a diplomat.
7. Cease all further settlement construction until a peace agreement has been reached with the Palestinian Authority.
The bottom line is HONEST NEGOTIATIONS WITH PALESTINIANS MUST BE THE HIGHEST PRIORITY!!
Posted in Barack Obama, Europe, Human Rights, Islam, Israel, Judaism, Military, Multicultural, Muslims, Politics, South Africa, Sweden, Turkey, US Foreign Policy, War, World News
Tagged Avigdor Lieberman
Mahomed FAizal Dawjee, writing in the South African, Mail&Guardian, attempted to inject common sense into the crazy discussion concerning the Zapiro cartoon which depicted the Prophet Muhammad on a couch talking to a psychiatrist and saying, “other Prophets have followers with a sense of humor.” As Dawjee notes, every time there is a cartoon, some Muslim leaders go wild and make certain that a caricature that would be seen, at most, by a few thousand, is viewed by millions throughout the world. He notes that Muhammad in the cartoon is dressed in normal Arab attire, there is no attempt to make fun of his facial features, and he is talking to a psychiatrist, not because he is insane, but stressed. All normal occurrences. Dawjee raises a point that has been missed by most commenting on the cartoon– the Muslim faith requires respecting and honoring the other Prophets who have followers with a sense of humor which means Muslims also have a sense of humor.
As the writer, and others, have pointed out, Zapiro has printed cartoons which depict Israel leader, Sharon, as a Nazi, he has blasted Israel policy toward Palestinians and even poked fun at South African leaders. He is an equal satirical cartoonist. To prove this is true, today the Mail& Guardian will carry a cartoon in which a man is lying on a couch and is asked by his psychiatrist, “tough week?” and he responds, “You have NO idea.” At the side of the man is a brief case with the word, “Cartoonist.”
Posted in Conservatives, Dick Cheney, George Bush, Iraq War, Islam, Israel, Judaism, Liberals, Military, Multicultural, Muslims, Politics, South Africa, World News