Since becoming, first the prime minister, and then the President of Turkey, Recep Erdogan has increasingly gained complete control of the nation. A democracy increasingly has become the personal domain of Recep Erdogan. A group of Army officers attempted to overthrown the president, and the coup was crushed. Nearly 20,000 people, army officers, lawyers, judges,government officials, and journalists have been arrested. The days of democracy in Turkey are getting fewer and fewer.
Much as we wish a real revolution could have swept Erdogan from power,its defeat bodes well for the world. A successful coup would have transformed Turkey into a giant Syria mess. Once this civil war began, millions of Turks would have attempted to enter the EU causing chaos and allowing right wing fanatics to gain power in France, Italy, Hungary and Poland. It would have been the end of the European Union. Alas, people of Turkey, the failure of the coup avoided an even greater tragedy.
Posted in Barack Obama, bernie Sanders, Christianity, Conservatives, Democrats, Donald Trump, Education, Gender Issues, Hilary Clinton, Human Rights, Islam, john kerry, Liberals, Middle East, Military, Mitt Romney, Muslims, Peace, Politics, Republicans, Satire, Syria, Turkey, United States, US Foreign Policy, War, World News
I realize that Republicans want to carpet bomb Syria into oblivion, but these days it is mighty hard to figure out who in the hell to bomb. For example:
1. There is the Free Syrian Army which hates President Assad and the Russians.
2. Turkey wants to bomb anti-Assad groups but also wants to bomb Kurds which are anti-Assad fighters.
3. The Russians are bombing enemies of President Assad but sort of ignoring ISIS and al Qaeda.
4. The US, England,France, Jordan and god knows who else is bombing Assad and his allies but not Russian ones.
5. The Democratic Union army is sort of anti-Assad but also anti those fighting Assad.
6. The Iranians help Assad and the Saudis help anti-Assad and also attack some anti-Assad fighters.
We challenge anyone to come up with a score card as to who are the right guys to bomb!
Posted in Barack Obama, bernie Sanders, Christianity, Conservatives, Democrats, Donald Trump, Education, Human Rights, Iraq War, Islam, john kerry, Middle East, Military, Mitt Romney, Multicultural, Muslims, Peace, Politics, Republicans, Ron Paul, Russia, Syria, Turkey, US Foreign Policy, War, World News