Recent events in Syria have not been discussed in the American media, aside from calls for “more boots on the ground” Few American analysts have given the public an understanding of what is transpiring in Syria.
1. President Assad is frightened. He is scared of his allies in Iran. Assad now grasps that the Ayatollahs in Tehran are ready to dump him and get what they can from Syria.
2. The Iran Revolutionary Guard has grown powerful in Syria to the point where it is making decisions about the country’s future. The Iranians believe they no longer need Syrians in leadership positions.
3. The Alewives, from which Assad comes, are not the same type of Muslims as those in Iran. As one noted, “They are turning us back a thousand years. We don’t wear headscarves and we aren’t Shiites.”
4. Assad fears that Hezbollah will carve out a piece of Syria that borders Lebanon and just forget about Syria.
5. So, Assad has called in the Russians to balance Iran.
6. And, Putin wants Syria to be close to Russia so if Iran gains power in Syria, goodbye Russia!