Republicans are once again hot to engage in a war in order to blame President Obama for failure to win a war. It is Republican policy to initiate wars in order to blame Democrats for not winning the war because they lack “will power for peace.” John McCain and Fox News “foreign policy experts” want ACTION on the part of Barack Obama. ACTION translates into some form of behavior that results in Vladimir Putin pleading for peace. Let this blog suggest a realistic foreign policy toward Ukraine and Russia.
1. There is no “victory” at the end of the rainbow, simply a confused world of discord that will continue for years.
2. Russia, regardless of who is their leader, has justifiable concerns, stemming from their history the past hundred years of being invaded by foreign armies that murdered over fifty million of their people. Any accord with Russia must ensure their right to protection against foreign aggression.
3. We propose the Ukranian government issue a guarantee that it will not allow any foreign troops or military installations on its territory. In essence, Ukraine becomes another Switzerland adhering to the principle of neutrality.
4. We propose that any missile systems of NATO be withdrawn to England. In other words, the European continent is to be free of missiles.
5. The Crimea is to experience a UN monitored election to determine its future. If the Tartar minority does not wish to live in a Russian centered Crimea, it would be provided the right to migrate to west European lands or the United States and Canada.
6. A Turkish-Russian discussion would result in agreements concerning placement of aggressive weapons on one another’s borders.
7. The United States is to develop a major program in energy exports to Europe that ends dependence on Russian energy sources.
No shouting and screaming, just solid diplomacy is the answer.