There are reports of Russian soldiers on the border of Ukraine who might be sent into that country in order to prevent the government of Ukraine from gaining control over its own territory. Such an invasion would create new issues for the people of Europe and the world. American foreign policy leaders must develop a plan of action if this eventuality became a reality. What can be done if Russia invades Ukraine?
1. An embargo of shipment of any goods from or to Russia by the European Union and the United States of America.
2. An embargo of any plane flights into or from Russia.
3. Immediate and total imposition of sanctions on the Russian financial sector.
4. Introduction of a Resolution in the UN General Assembly condemning the Russian invasion.
5. Attempt to remove Russia from important world economic groups.
6. American corporations will be forbidden to loan money to Russia or to establish business sites in that nation.
7. The US and Canada should announce they will export oil and gas to European nations that were getting such supplies from Russia. This means Obama must accept the new pipeline.
8. Any sporting event scheduled to be held in Russia will be canceled.
The United States must avoid sending military supplies to Ukraine. The country will be over-run by Russian forces. If Putin so desires, he can accomplish this goal. However, he is then stuck with what he ordered and the unintended consequences of his actions.
Reality for Russia. It is a nation that is not exporting high tech materials other than weapons. It depends upon gas and oil for revenues. Accelerate the long term program to end reliance on oil, and Russia will confront a huge economic collapse.