At this moment, an army of about 6,000 men is on the march toward the city of Baghdad as hundreds of thousands flee their homes. Iraq is a nation that contains millions of people, it has an armed force numbering over 100,000 but 6,000 well armed men have been able to easily defeat a demoralized force whose members simply lack faith in their government. During the past five years this blog has been repeatedly warning that a disaster awaits the people of Iraq. Why?
1. The government of Nouri al-Maliki has refused to provide a sense of equality to Sunnis. Their leaders have been removed from government positions, and to be a Sunni in Shiite Iraq means one is part of a persecuted group.
2. The government of Nouri al-Maliki has no organized plan to rebuild the economy.
3. The government of Nouri al-Maliki has not developed a sense of pride within the country. Half the Christian population has fled in fear of the Shiite government. Christians could have played an important role in an Iraq army because they fear terrorists seeking to impose sharia law.
4. The government of Nouri al-Maliki has refused to work with the Obama administration and use the talents of American soldiers in building a new army.
In other words, the success of terrorism can be laid to–Nouri al-Maliki.
What must be done?
1. A new inclusive government must be created.
2. Iran should be asked to provide soldiers in the fight against Sunni terrorism. The Shiite Iranian government does not want a triumphant Sunni government to rule Iraq.
3. Kurdish troops can be welcomed as part of a new Iraq which offers Kurds greater autonomy.