The voters of Ireland gave a resounding “no” to the Lisbon Treaty and, in so doing, gave a resounding no to efforts of members of the European Union from moving forward in efforts to enhance the power of the organization. By a margin of 53.4% to 46.6% Irish voters, who represent about 1% of total membership in the Union, vetoed what the remaining 99% of European Union members desire. President Sarkozy of France, said he regretted the action but insisted the EU had to move ahead. He indicated there might be a way to proceed without Ireland’s vote and still have the Lisbon Treaty take effect. Chancellor Merkel of Germany expressed her disappointment, but coalition members from the SPD were furious. President Stipe Mesic of Croatia was upset because Ireland had received so much help from the EU to jump start its economy and was not turning on those who had been of assistance.
It is time for the European Union to abandon the idea that one nation can thwart the desires of the remaining members. Perhaps, it is time to move toward a three-fourths rule as is present in the United States.