Secretary of Defense Robert Gates blasted failure of NATO to meet its military obligations in Afghanistan as a failure of nerve and responsibility. He warned European leaders that “future US political leaders–those for whom the Cold War was not the formative experience that it was for me–may not consider the return on US investment in NATO worth the cost.” He charged NATO allies were “unwilling to devote the necessary resources or make the necessary changes to be serious and capable parties in their own defense.” Gates doubts if the American Congress will be willing to work with Allies who prefer having the American people assume financial responsibility for peace in the world.
Unfortunately, Secretary Gates confuses history.
1. The Cold War was between Europe/US vs the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union has the means to inflict serious military damage to Western Europe.
2. The Cold War was conducted with the spectre of atomic destruction hovering in the background.
1. George Bush launched an invasion of Afghanistan that was successful. IT WAS THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT THAT WALKED AWAY FROM TRIUMPH IN AFGHANISTAN AND DEFEAT OF THE TALIBAN!
2. For eight years the war in Afghanistan had no rhyme nor reason. It was an American experience in futility. It is now TEN YEARS of futility. When is enough, enough?
3. It was George Bush who launched a war in Iraq over WMD that never existed. Yes, the British government is tired of dealing with a war that NEVER should have been fought!
At least NATO nations are saying it is either time to develop a realistic program or get the hell out.
There is no threat to Europe nor to the US from a Taliban run government. The threat is to the people of Afghanistan. Now, they must stand up, get rid of their incompetent government and confront the Taliban.