I confess to having been raised in a different era when Democratic presidents were not afraid to take on the powers of wealth and business in order to protect the rights of working people and the middle class. In 1948, President Harry Truman was opposed by 75% of the newspapers and his rating was down, but he decided to take the fight to every American. He got on a train and proceeded to constantly blast the Republicans. After a few weeks, even Republican newspapers were declaiming about the “do nothing Congress” which was run by Republicans. Truman made his message clear and concise– jobs, raising minimum wages, protecting unions, health insurance and first steps toward integration. Today, we have a man in the White House who is remarkably quiet and by this silence allows Fox News and Republicans to control whatever messages are being heard by Americans. For example, why is President Obama pounding away at:
1. Republicans voted to prevent health care for 9/11 responders.
2. Tell the American people the exact figures of how we got into the current high debt situation. Obama, few know the figures!
3. Lay out a program of jobs– rebuilding bridges, new small hospitals in rural America, construct new high speed broadband, etc.. But,Obama has to deliver the message in clear English.
4. Spell out the truth concerning the mosque. Explain to the American people Fox News connection with Saudi businessmen who finance madrassas that teach hatred of America. Tell the truth of how a deliberate campaign was initiated by Fox News and the Republican party to stir up hatred.
5. FINALLY explain the health care program in a clear, concise manner.
6. Explain the facts that Social Security is OK for decades.
For God’s sake, Mr. President, stop being silent and speak to the American people!!
How about studying Harry Truman and Franklin Roosevelt who took on the wealthy and gained support!!