The Central Intelligence Agency was founded after disbandment of the World War II OSS spy group. The theory behind establishing a spy agency was to provide intelligence regarding events that happened throughout the world. In other words, the ÇIA was allegedly the eyes of America, and supposedly could provide information as to what would occur in the world. So, what is the record of this organization?
1. It organized the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Iran in 1953 which initiated the process of Islamic militants gaining power in that country.
2. It overthrew the democratically elected government of Guatemala.
3. It was completely wrong in 1961 about the desire of Cubans to overthrow the government of Fidel Castro.
4. It was completely wrong about Vietnam.
5. It was completely wrong about the Cuba Missile crisis.
6. It was completely wrong about desire of Chinese Communist government leaders to seek cooperation with the US.
7. It never anticipated the collapse of the Soviet Union.
8. It was disastrously wrong about supplying weapons to Islamic militants in Afghanistan.
So, what about the current fiasco. CIA Director, John Brennan, apologized to the Senate Intelligence Committee because CIA agents hacked the email accounts of staff members attached to the Senate committee. According to a CIA spokesperson, “Some CIA employees acted in a manner in contrast to the common understanding reached between the ÇIA and the committee in 2009 regarding access to the RDINET.
Question: why did these CIA employees violate the law? Did they refuse to obey CIA leaders?