One sometimes wonders if those seeking the Republican nomination for president receive secret injections of a “stupidity pill.” Rick Perry once again proved that becoming governor of Texas results in degeneration of one’s brain. Someone mentioned Turkey’s Justice and Development Party as Islamic which sent Rick off on a rocky road of nonsense. “Obviously, when you have a country which is being ruled by what many would perceive to be Islamist terrorists, when you start seeing that type of activity against their own people…. not only is it time for us to have a conversation about whether or not they belong to be in NATO but it’s time for the United States, when we look at their foreign aid, to go to zero with it.”
Rick did serve in Turkey during his time in service. Let’s look at the record:
1. Turkey has freedom of religion and there are still Jews in the country.
2. There currently is a fight over whether wearing the niqab should be allowed in college classrooms.
3. Name a terrorist group funded by Turkey is the real question!
4. Yes, there have been restrictions of freedom of the press and there is still conflict over the Kurdish issue, but these do not translate into terming Turkey a friend of terrorism.
5. Israel refused to allow aid to people in Gaza, Turkish boats were attacked and Turkish citizens killed. Turkey asked for an apology and Israel refused.