We are currently remembering the infamous Watergate event back in 1974 when for the first time in American history a President decided to resign rather than face the possibility of being impeached. I find it ironic that Richard Nixon endorsed policies that the modern Republican party would consider ground for impeaching him. Imagine a REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT who:
1. Urged a guaranteed income for all Americans.
2. Strongly supported Affirmative Action for black people.
3. As Vice President chaired an Affirmative Action program for Negroes.
4. Maintained a tax rate of up to 60%!
5. Backed equal rights for women.
Personally, he was an equal opportunity bigot ranting about Jews and blacks, but as President he kept his personal views to himself. There is absolutely no way this Republican would ever be supported by the modern Republican party. Ah, there was a time in American history in which Republicans were the party fighting for equal rights and the right of workers to have unions and decent middle class pay. Richard, we miss you–ssometimes!