I thoroughly agree with the concept that a nation has the right to defend its territorial integrity. I agree that a nation has the right to wipe out any groups seeking to cause it harm. I agree that Israel has the right to make certain no bombs are headed for its people. Frankly, any nation in the world would take action to halt such violence against its territory. The government of Israel made clear “when a ceasefire proposal that answers Israel’s important needs is laid on the table, it will be considered.” Even as he spoke Israel tanks were blasting away at civilians seeking refuge in a UN school. Let me examine the Israel statement.
1. What are Israel’s “needs?”
2. What does “consider” mean?
3. What comes after the conclusion of the war in Gaza?
It is quite clear that Israel’s “needs” entail an end to bombs entering its nation. Hopefully, “consider” means address ALL issues linked to the fighting in Gaza. To simply respond to the need for an end of bombs is not enough because ceasing at that point any meaningful discussions does not address the issue of “what comes after conclusion of the war in Gaza?” Unless this issue is addressed in a “meaningful manner” a few years from now there will be more bombs and within a year there will be suicide bombers blasting away in Israel. Does anyone in the Israel government actually believe that this war has not created a new generation of suicide bombers! They are now teens and within a few years they will be ready and willing to die for Allah by killing Jews.
So, what must be done–NOW!
1. An end to further West Bank settlements.
2. Consolidation of all West Bank settlements into an area of the West Bank not to exceed 5% of the land.
3. Recognition of the new state of Palestine.
4. The right of Palestinians to have its capital in east Jerusalem.
5. Creation of a new “Marshall Plan” for the region whose aim is stimulating the economies of Palestine, Egypt and Jordan, along with that of Israel.
Get youth into meaningful education and jobs if one seeks to avoid suicide bombers!