I gather there are still people who believe that some sort of sanity is present on planet Earth. Let me cite some facts which should dissuade them of such thinking.
1. George Bush ordered the invasion of Afghanistan. Then Iranian President Khatami assisted US forces and was rewarded by being branded asa terrorist by the American president.
2. President Khatami offered a compromise with President Bush that included ending pursuit of nuclear weapons. He never received a reply.
3. Saddam Hussein was wiped out and Shiites took over Iraq.
4. Shiites proceeded to persecute and imprison Sunni leaders.
5. Americans organized Sunni Awakening Councils to fight al-Qaeda.
6. Prime Minister Maliki then proceeded to disband these groups and put in prison its leaders.
7. Sunni Iraqis have drifted into the arms of the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant, (ISIS).
8. ISIS forces took over the city of Mosul and were warmly greeted by Sunni residents.
9. President Obama continually offered to assist Maliki but he refused to grant American soldiers the right to be tried in a military court.
10. ISIS forces are marching on Baghdad.
11. Iran has dispatched 2,000 troops to aid the Iraq government.
12. President Obama has dispatched the George HW Bush aircraft carrier to aid the Iraq government.
In other words, American and Iranian forces will be working together. When asked about this possibility, Iran President Hassaan Rouhani replied: “If we see that the United States takes action against terrorist groups in Iraq, then one can think about it.”
I wonder if Republicans in the US Senate will block US cooperation with Iran that is designed to aid Iraq??